Obstetrics and pediatrics! Mmmm ... maybe I'm a little nervous about working with kids (toddlers are definitely a fear) and their parents. It intimidates me to know kids vary so much developmentally and parenting styles vary even more. Combine that with illness and I feel like it'll be very difficult to assess and build relationships with those families.
I truly am excited about infants. Neonatal ICU intrigues me and I think I am anal (let's use "meticulous" ... sounds better) enough to work in that area. I would love to have the talent to work on such tiny people and I would love to fight hard for them too.
This March I will submit my preferences about where I'd like to precept. Precepting is what I'll do this summer -- work 300 hours with one nurse in one area I wish to pursue after graduation. Right now I am leaning toward adult intensive care and maybe some day I will find my way into a neonatal ICU. I recognize it is possible I have an inaccurate perception of certain areas in nursing ... so, I am trying to keep an open mind and will do my best to find an area that makes sense for me AND for my patients and their families!
One thing about nursing ... it is a team sport! I'm convinced there is no other program in which you can find such a great support system in your peers. Here's a pic of my favorite study group. We're working hard while savoring crepes downtown. I love the people in my program, but I get much more done when I study on my own!! :)

No comments:
Post a Comment