Friday, September 7, 2007

CSUS BNS ASBSN NP CCN APN MSE CNE MPH

Two weeks ago I finished my first semester of nursing school! This fall my class is considered to be in its third semester since we are on an accelarated track. It's been stressful, but I am really enjoying it.

For our advanced medical-surgical clinical rotation I'll be studying nursing practice in the oncology unit at UC Davis Medical Center. UCDMC is doing some amazing work with its cancer patients, so I'm really looking forward to the experience! I'll also be studying at Sutter Center for Psychiatry. We will be working with adults who struggle with substance abuse and mental illness. So far, we've been warned to never ask a patient, "Why?" ("Why did you remove your own eyeball?") and to always keep our exits in view. Can't say I'm excited about mental health nursing.

Here I am with part of my class after completing our clinical rotation at Kaiser in Roseville. I'm the tough guy on the right.


We spent the summer working on a telemetry unit, which is a step-down from ICU. Most of the patients suffered from cardiac problems and stroke. They all were very sick with multiple secondary diagnoses. What have I learned that you can use? Take care of yourself! Everything you do now affects your health long-term.

No comments: